Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Day 6. Wildsumaco 3/13/16

After a great breakfast at the Wildsumaco Lodge I poked around the lodge a bit and was happy to see this Black-billed Treehunter, a lifer.


And this Collared Trogon which I have seen many times.


Then I packed up my camera, binocs and umbrella and was off to the FACE trail.  Wintering nearctic birds were common and included pewees that looked like Western Wood-Pewee to me, Summer and Scarlet Tanagers, Swainson's Thrush, and Blackburnian and Canada Warblers.  As I reached the trailhead the rain started to increase.  And increase.  And increase.  It was pouring.  I put up my umbrella and just stood there for two and half hours waiting for a break.  It finally let up a bit and I made it back to the lodge.  Caroline made a fire and I dried out a bit.  Wandering around the lodge I found a new hummer for my list, the tiny Blue-headed Hummingbird.  I only saw it at porter weeds and never got a good photo.


Blackburnian Warbler was becoming tiresome.


A flock outside the lodge had more Blackburnians, my first Cerulean Warbler for the trip and this lifer Slaty-capped Flycatcher.


Everyone was getting wet!  At this point I have to say I was really pleased with the performance of my camera.  It was cloudy, wet and I was shooting at very slow speeds and still getting reasonably good images. The Canon 7D Mark II along with the Canon 100-400 IS II is a killer birding combo.



I think this must be a young Crested Oropendola but I'm open to suggestion.


It was hard to get a good photo of the Scarlet-headed Barbet in the fog and rain.  I had to do some editing to get anything out of this male.


Same with this female Guilded Barbet.



And same with this Lined Antshrike.


The rain let up quite a bit so I wandered down the road.  Here's a distant Crimson-crested Woodpecker.  I saw one in Panama a few years ago.


Saw a few tanager flocks with Scarlet, Summer, Paradise and Blue-necked Tanagers but they were hard to get close to.


Olivaceous Woodcreeper is a common bird throughout much of Latin America.  This was on the lodge trail.


A little last birding before dinner.  Golden-tailed Sapphire at the feeders.


Gould's Jewelfront.


Sparkling Violetear is another common hummer throughout the moist mid elevations of Latin America.



I finally got the rare Rufous-vented Whitetip.  The poor thing seems to have an injury on its bill.


Love those Napo Sabrewings.




The Green Hermit always seemed nervous around the feeders and gave poor looks.


I only saw the Black-throated Brilliant a few times.


Booted Racket-tail.


And a Violet-fronted Brilliant.


During the afternoon I made the decision to stay another night and try the FACE trail again in the morning.   The Turkish birds had covered it in the rain during the day and had seen some good stuff.  Hoping for better weather tomorrow.  Turns out there were numerous landslides along the highway so I could not leave even if I wanted.

























No comments:

Post a Comment